2011-05-30

Absolutely Abysmal!

Those of you who read my post Avast Ye Scallywags will know that my husband and I are new sailors.  Last year, we bought a MacGregor 26x and set about teaching ourselves how to sail.

They say you can learn how to sail in an afternoon but it takes a lifetime to master it.  So... although we spent all last sailing season out on the water, I'm still nervous about entering a race next weekend.

You see, we tried racing near the end of the season last Fall, and it didn't go so well for us.  In fact, it was abysmal.  Truly abysmal!  It's not that we were capsized and went belly-up in the water, or over-powered by winds that knocked us down and ripped our sails.  We didn't have to frantically bail out the cockpit as giant waves spilled over the deck, and I wasn't dragged overboard by ropes twisted around my ankles and left to twist and drown as I was towed (unnoticed) behind the boat.  

No.  Our misadventure was of a different nature.  They say a picture's worth a thousand words, so maybe I can best explain it that way.  Here's an action shot of Dan & I taken during our first race:







Can you see the excitement?  The high drama? The adrenalin rush?  No?  (I think I was actually reading a book)

In our defense, there was very little wind.  But still...the other boats managed to finish the race before we even rounded the first of 4 marks!  Absolutely abysmal!!





So...what do you like to do for fun?

13 comments:

  1. I think the fact that you've only been sailing a year and already you're into racing is pretty amazing. Personally, I think that photo was a perfect way to spend some time on the water. I like to ride horses. It's my passion. I used to show and jump, but not a quiet hack is just as rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the winning, it's the taking part! Lovely tranquil picture....

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you can get your husband into a boat. Mine would be sick just looking at your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you must have thought of this....I noticed the motor out of the water. That may have cured your lack of propulsion due to lack of wind. ;-)
    It wouldn't be sailing, that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne: my husband's the one who wants to race. I'd just as soon sail out to some calm water, drop the anchor & go for a swim!

    Martin: it is tranquil out on the water - at times. Other times, it's quite a ride!

    Hocam: I learned the hard way that hang-overs and sailing don't mix, but other than that one time, it's all been good.

    Al: we might have well have used the motor - we were disqualified anyway because we exceeded the time limit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like the perfect way to spend a day. I wouldn't even care if I won the race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I know absolutely nothing about boats but that picture of yours represents a tranquil peaceful existence. Good luck with your racing.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your sense of adventure!!!! You are too cute! I have kids for fun :) Kidding. Ummm. . . I just like to do anything outside in the sun and active. Sports love them! I bet sailing is fun.

    Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that's funny! Made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 01, 2011

    What a beautiful boat!!! Now that's exactly how I like to compete. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's funny! Made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you must have thought of this....I noticed the motor out of the water. That may have cured your lack of propulsion due to lack of wind. ;-)
    It wouldn't be sailing, that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not the winning, it's the taking part! Lovely tranquil picture....

    ReplyDelete