2011-08-15

The Bearer of Bad News - And a really Yummy Recipe for Roasted Corn on the Cob



I bought Chrysanthemums Yellow ones.  Some of my flowerbeds are showing the stress of a hot and dry summer, and I thought Chrysanthemums would be just the thing to spruce them up with a bright show of colour.

I turned the A/C off The heat wave has finally ended.  I was able to open wide the windows and let the fresh breeze waft through the house.  It was glorious.

I wore a cardigan.  When I left the house for work one morning, I was surprised to find it a little chilly.  Not cold – just a slight chill in the air that I knew would disappear as the sun rose higher in the sky.

I went to a local farm market and delighted in the local harvest.  There was sweet corn, peaches, musk melons, and tomatoes, all freshly picked and ripe for eating.


A leaf landed on my head.   As I was out walking, a tiny yellow leaf floated down from a walnut tree and landed in my hair.


And then it dawned on me.  I mean, even I can read the signs when they hit me on the head - summer is winding down.   Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.  Granted, that little yellow leaf was something of an over-achiever and it will be several more weeks before the trees are flush with fall colours, but the signs are all there - this glorious, long, lazy summer is indeed winding down!


Being a glass-half-full kind of gal, I decided to make the most of it with an old-fashioned corn roast.  I invited some friends over, planned a traditional menu of macaroni salad, baked beans, peach cobbler, and beer, and lit a bonfire in the backyard to cook the corn over.


It was perfect - except I'd never cooked corn over coals before.   But it's easy.  Trust me.  Here's the instructions:



1.  Pull back the husks, leaving them attached at the base.
2.  Remove the corn silk and pull the husks back into place.  Soak the corn in water for an hour or so.
3.  Light a fire.
4.  Once the flames have subsided and you have nice red coals, place the cobs directly on the coals and roast for 20 minutes, turning every now and then.
5.  Remove the cobs from the fire and tear off the husks.  Serve with butter.



But I ran into a small problem.  My Googled instructions made no mention of using only hardwood for your fire.  When my fire of pine carpentry ends burnt down to a bed of nice red coals, I went into the house to fetch the cobs.  But I returned just mere minutes later to find my bed of red coals had disintegrated into lukewarm ashes!  Within minutes!  You NEED to use REAL firewood.  Oh well...live and learn...

Not having a stash of ready hardwood, I cheated and used charcoal.  Supper was a little later than planned, having to re-light a fire, but it was worth it.  Roasting the cobs caramelizes the sugars in the corn, making it the sweetest corn you will EVER taste, and cooking it over coals gives it a delicious smoky flavour.   I swear, everyone who enjoys corn-on-the-cob needs to try cooking it this way!  Not only is it mouth-watering yummy, but it's also a great way to enjoy the end of the summer season.


Give it a try, and let me know what you think!

22 comments:

  1. I worked late tonight and I noticed it was getting dark at 7:30. Where has the summer gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coal roasted corn on the cob is the best. When I was young and growing up in India, streetside vendors would sell them that way. Not sure how or why but I've never eaten corn that good, and thats the only way I'll eat corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. susan swiderskiAugust 16, 2011

    Yeah, sometimes I need to be "hit on the head" to realize how quickly time is passing, too. The heat won't be leaving us for a while yet, but there's something ... something in the air to let us know summer is winding down. It's a certain feeling, a certain way the sunlight looks ... something.

    That corn sounds yummy. This year's white corn has been particularly good in our neck of the woods. Nice and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed the sunlight too - it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll never boil it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are calling the end of summer, that makes you the bearer of FANTASTIC news for me! Summer can't get out of here fast enough for me every year! The only thing I like about it is DoodleBug's birthday!

    Your post was so beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WhisperingWriterAugust 16, 2011

    I think I'd really like roasted corn on the cob. Yum!

    Oh and regarding the comment you left on my blog: you don't like donuts or candy!? I'd go crazy without those things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had roasted corn and it's yummy! As for the end of summer, I'm not ready yet! We had a very late start to summer here, so I'm just settling in. In fact, I'm outside right now enjoying the garden and sunshine while I catch up on my reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness for laptops and wireless internet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We only have two seasons where I live: wet and dry. The subtle cues of season change are lost on me. But I do know this: a leaf drifting on the breeze and finally settling on my head - that is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is not yet cool here...still in the 90's...but the leaves ARE falling from the trees. However, that is only because the trees are hot, tired and thirsty. They have had it with this heat stuff (two weeks over 100) and apparently they are giving up...yielding the leaves in August. Odd, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my good googly moogly. Does that look good? Yes, it does. I'm jealous and hungry for corn right now, and its 6am. Thanks for that.

    I'm also a little jealous that you're already seeing signs of fall. I love the Fall. It's my fave season. It wont turn cooler here until early November, and even then the leaves dont turn. I'll be dreaming about your dreamy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't be jealous - remember that the famous Canadian autumn is followed by the infamous Canadian winter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor trees! Poor you! Two weeks over 100?!!! We had only a few days that reached those temperatures and it was more than enough!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cues of season change start subtly here but become so pronounced it's impossible to miss!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just don't have much of a sweet tooth. It's the salty carbs that do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank-you Pam! I was afraid this piece was a bit of a dud.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wasn't it just last week we enjoyed long, balmy evenings?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. bodaciousboomerAugust 17, 2011

    You were able to turn off the AC? Seriously? I can't even fathom that. It's been so hot and dry here Satan's been having a street dance in our cul de sac for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that's hot! lol. We've been having daytime highs of 27 Celsius/80 Fahrenheit which suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kristy LorenzenAugust 18, 2011

    Yes, there are still many grilling days ahead of us before we pack it in for winter! I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I refuse to believe summer is over, but I will still enjoy this corn. Sounds delish!


    I am a new follower from the Sit and Relax Weekend Hop. Would love a follow back at http://messforless.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete