2011-03-08

The Case of the Mysterious Beep

Long, long ago, in the basement apartment of a Guy and his Gal, a mysterious beeping disturbed the young couple’s breakfast of left-over pizza and instant coffee.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.

"What's making that noise?" asked Guy

“Is that the upstairs’ smoke detector?” asked Gal, alarmed.

The young couple listened intently to the hurried staccato footsteps of their upstairs’ neighbour.  Back and forth, here and there, they heard their neighbour’s high-heeled shoes taping across the floor above them as the mysterious beeping continued. Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.

“She must be putting out a fire!” exclaimed Gal.

The staccato footsteps veered towards the front of the house and ended with the slam of the front door.  Then a car door slam shut, an engine fired up, and their upstairs neighbour drove away.   But the mysterious beeping noise continued!  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  The young couple looked at each other in confusion.

“It can’t be a fire,” said Gal.  “She wouldn’t just drive away if her place was on fire, would she?” 

“It must be something outside.  I’m going out to look,” said Guy, grabbing his jacket off the back of the kitchen chair.

“I’m coming with you,” said Gal and the two of them opened their apartment door and ascended the stairs into the backyard.  Outside, the mysterious beeping continued unabated.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.

“Funny…” said Guy, “but it doesn’t sound any louder out here, and I can’t tell which direction it’s coming from.  Let’s walk around the house.”

So the young couple circled the house, twice, but no matter which side of the house they were on, the mysterious beeping continued at the same volume.  Unable to figure out where the noise was coming from, they went back inside.  Guy removed his jacket and draped it over the back of a kitchen chair and Gal took a seat while Guy paced the floor, having learned he could solve mysteries better while pacing.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.

“It’s odd,” said Gal, but when I turn my head this way (and she turned her head to the left to demonstrate), the noise is louder than when I turn my head the other way (and she turned to head to the right to demonstrate).  She repeated the experiment.  “Louder this way, (head turned to the left) and quieter this way (head turned to the right)".

“Well, I give up,” said Guy grabbing his jacket off the back of Gal’s chair.  “I’d better get going or I’ll be late.”  With that he bent and gave Gal a kiss then headed off to work, taking the mysterious beeping noise with him.

As Gal sat in the now quiet apartment, she began to put it all together.   Slowly, the mystery unraveled, and as more and more pieces fell into place, the funnier it became.  She began to giggle as she undressed for her shower; by the time she was standing under the hot stream of water, she was shaking hard with laughter; and when Guy suddenly reappeared, yanked back the shower curtain and with an expression of pure panic on his face exclaimed “It followed me in the car to work!!!” she laughed so hard she peed.

“OH MY GOD GUY!” she exclaimed when she could catch her breath.  “It’s your new pager in your left jacket pocket!”

37 comments:

  1. That's an hilarious story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was well bloody funny Kara, you loon! Thanks for that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well told! What a great read!


    And it happened a lot like that to me once. GRIN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Too funny! You two will never forget that...lol...BTW I think a meme is just a blog hop...that is what I think anyway...Pinkim!TrulySimplyPink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinkim! You've exposed my craftily concealed identity! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! The pitfalls of modern technology ...

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly is a pitfall of modern technology! A good read. ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you on the Great Canadian Link Exchange - new follower. And, thank you, thank you for a good laugh! the whole house has been sick, and of course just as I get the kids better, I'm sick. Was due for a chuckle!
    If you want to read my blog, I am at Time Out For Mom on the link exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of the first time I had a car with an alarm and remote key. I set it off myself the first day I had the car as I was parked downtown(no doubt where the sound was coming from!), but I didn't know how to turn it off!! People just passed by looking at me as I stood looking helplessly at the car. I finally just started pushing every button till it stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Galen Pearl: Public humiliatings - groan! We've all been there at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds me of a story......(what doesn't?).....
    When I was living aboard ship, I set my alarm one night to wake me up at 3 AM so I could go stand watch on the bridge. Anyway, sure enough, the alarm went off beep beep beep beep (I guess they all make that sound). As it was going off like crazy, I started to search for it to turn it off. I grabbed a flashlight and began pawing through my sheets and pillows to find the noisy little bugger, but I couldn't find it. When I brought the light closer to my ear, it kept getting louder. When I brought it closer to the pillow, it got quieter. I couldn't find the darn thing! Until I looked at my flashlight. It was actually the light on the alarm clock which I was using...to find the alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uh Oh...sorry!!!

    Maybe this will make up for it...I have given you an award...stop by and pick it up! TrulySimplyPink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha that's gold!!
    Bloody technology!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post for moms and nanas like me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What I want to know is - did anyone reading this figure out what was beeping before the final sentence????

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought it was a cell phone with a low battery. It's been a long time since I carried a pager.

    ReplyDelete
  17. PAMO: Good guess! But when this happened, it was before cell phones were invented (way back in the dark ages) Do people even carry pagers now-a-days?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Linda here from Follow Friday. Hilarious story. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahhahaa hehehheh, that's funny!

    Hi, I found you on the Social Parade and I'm a new follower. Stop by and say "HI" if you get a chance.
    http://www.wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Hi, new follower from Social Parade. Can't wait to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahahahaa that is hilarious! Glad you guys figured it out!

    Here from the blog hop. Great to meet you!
    <3, New Follower
    Tomorrow starts a week of giveaways on A Taste of T

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blog hopping! I'm your new follower and would love a follow back! www.adeliciousobsession.com Thanks!

    That was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Still laughing with tears as I picture this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that story...it's hilarious!! I'm already a follower on GFC and have requested to follow your tweets on twitter.
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL! Stopping by from the week-end story tellers blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. HAHAH, you shouldn't have told him what it was :) Just let him keep beeping the whole time. Too funny, and sometimes that high tech stuff just blunders is all :) Thanks for linking up to the storytellers blog hop, so glad you did. Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a funny story!! Thanks for the laugh with my coffee this morning:) Find you thru the storytellers blog hop & am your newest follower!! Hope you are enjoying your Sunday!
    mamasherri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is way too funny! Thank you so much for the laugh, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is way too funny! Thank you so much for the laugh, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL! Stopping by from the week-end story tellers blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What I want to know is - did anyone reading this figure out what was beeping before the final sentence????

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hahhahaa hehehheh, that's funny!

    Hi, I found you on the Social Parade and I'm a new follower. Stop by and say "HI" if you get a chance.
    http://www.wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Certainly is a pitfall of modern technology! A good read. ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pinkim! You've exposed my craftily concealed identity! LOL

    ReplyDelete