Today's topic doesn't actually classify as a perk or pleasure as it's...well...NOT. But I was giving some thought to surviving winters in Canada and when I added up the items we need just to be able to drive our cars, it all seems rather ludicrous. And as I like all things ludicrous, I just had to share. Here's my list:
1. Snow boots, gloves and a toque - so you don't lose your digits to frostbite and/or die from hypothermia.
2. A snow shovel - so you can dig out your car and clear a path down your driveway.
3. Lock De-Icer - to melt the ice from the door lock so your key will fit in and you can open your car door
4. Block Heater - to keep your engine warm enough through the night so it will start for you in the morning.
5. Jumper Cables - for when you're battery is dead because you didn't use your block heater.
6. Antifreeze - keep the fluids from freezing
7. Heater/Window Defroster - for when your built-in unit just isn't enough.
8. Ice Scraper/Snow Brush - to scrape off the ice and brush off the snow.
(AND NOW YOU'RE READY TO LEAVE THE DRIVEWAY)
9. Non-freezing Washer Fluid - to wash off the slush that passing vehicals splash on your windwhield. Can also be used in place of #8, depending on the thickness of the ice on the windshield.
10. Winter windshield wipers - to try to prevent the ice from building back up on the windshield.
11. Snow tires - to prevent your car from skidding on ice or getting stuck in snow.
12. Snow shovel - (again!) - in case your snow tires just weren't enough and you end up stuck in a snowbank.
(Notice - this guy forgot his shovel but in a fine example of Canadian ingenuity, is using his hockey stick)
14. Bag of sand/salt or kitty litter (depending on personal preference) - in case the snow tires and shovel weren't enough to free your car.
15. Tow rope - in case your snow tires, shovel, and bag of salt couldn't free you from that damned snowbank.
16. Emergency Blanket - in case your snow tires, shovel, and bag of sand didn't help and there's no one around to tow you out of that son-of-a-bitch of a snowbank. Should find yourself in this predictament and you neglected to remember #1.....then you're f***ed.
Leave a comment and tell me what you think of my list.